Friday 2 October 2015

Anenomes

I made a really quick card  and, in truth, the beautiful papers did most of the work:

I used:

- 6" x 6" white card blank, tent style

- a snippet of SU's 'Melon Mambo' card stock

- patterned paper from the 'Botanica' Collection by Craftwork Cards, trimmed to size and adhered onto the Melon Mambo card square. Thankfully I tried Collall glue with a teeny piece of white card and a snippet of the patterned paper - sure enough, the glue was going to show through so I had to resort to a Stix2 tape runner

- the banner is from the same paper set, adhered with same tape runner onto a snippet of white card for rigidity before being trimmed to shape with scissors and stuck onto the top part of the front panel

- found a snippet of lemony yellow ribbon and put that along the top of the panel before then gluing the whole panel onto the card front

- final touch, little piece of lemony yellow ribbon tied in a knot around the strip of ribbon - and held in place with a little piece of red line strong adhesive tape behind the knot

Gosh, so pleased I tested the reaction of the Collall wet glue before potentially ruining the whole panel. What alerted me was that the paper is matt and not overly thick and therefore was likely to be pretty absorbent - lesson to remember there.

I'd spotted this wonderful paper over at another blogger's and raved about it. A sweet blogging buddy immediately sent me her own pack, which had apparently been a magazine freebie. Too sweet - mwah, and thank you again!!

Yesterday we had the front garden borders tidied up, dramatically thinned out and mulched ready for the onset of Winter. The gardener found what seems to be a hedgehog nest (underneath a huge strappy leaved plant we'd got him to cut right down so it would regenerate) so great care was taken not to wake 'snoozing Spike' and he's now had an extra layer of bark mulch carefully added on top of his home - even left his little doorway clear for him to come and go! We think it's just a Summer sleeping place, they usually make more substantial nests for hibernation. 

Having tiptoed round we decided against trying to take a photo, but he'd obviously gathered loads of fallen leaves over a period of time :) Edit - he was back around midnight foraging in the back garden and feeding and drinking at his little restaurant, so at least we didn't chase him away - or it could even be a nest from last year. Oh, and there sure are two of them visiting each night, often jostling for position at the feeding station :)

So, you never know who's sleeping just where round here!

Di
x

22 comments:

  1. I love this card Di the flowers on it are beautiful and love your sentiment tag eith tge oretty butterflies and of course the required knot on that lovely ribbon. Fancy cute little Spike making his summer bed in your garden too and perhaps he will hibernate somewhere in your garden too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super flower pattern design paper. The big blooms are gorgeous. Finished off perfectly with the yellow knot. Now I'm humming Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree.!! Thankyou for fluttering by. See it was easy peasy in the end. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly said the patterned paper worked beautifully itself, love it! That butterfly tag is so cute with your beautiful knot on the strip of ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - yes, when you have fab papers like this they do need to take centre stage and you've really hit the spot with this one.
    Talking of Spike, I hope that at this time of year everyone will check bonfires before lighting them, I'm sure every year scores of hedgehogs must perish in them.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous card Di - I had those freebie papers too and love the vibrant colours - your ribbon and knot matches perfectly. Thank you for joining us at the Butterfly Challenge.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolute beauty Di, love the colours and the pretty blooms.

    Afraid not had time for either snippets of butterflies this week, will try and do better next week.

    Pleased to hear spike is still in residence.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous card Di,love the colors from the beautiful flowers and the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's such a gorgeous card. love that paper!
    I use double-sided tape for almost all my paper-sticking... Wet glues too often shine through, and while I love the open time of collall, there's always a little bit of glue seeping through the sides, getting a shiny finish on something whenever you *really* don't want it to, lol.
    I've perfected a technique that means I can move around and reposition with double sided tape even easier than with glue, so at least I don't have that worry any more! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABulous card Di and such awesome news of the Hedgies :-) I would love to see that in my garden :-) Thank you for keeping us informed on your little buddies :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Di and love the story of your little spiky friend, long may he visit your garden and eat up the bugs for you!
    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, that is such a beautiful card! I love the flower colors, the bird, and especially that cute birthday banner sentiment! Adorable card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card Di...I love these papers from Craftwork cards. Bless your little prickly friend..great to have nature on your doorstep. Thank you so much for your uplifting comment on my blog...you cheered me up. Take care of that back...mine is screwed and plated so I can sympathise with your suffering truly. Lost a filling today too (deep joy)...too many sweets in the playground do you think? Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is just adorable, Di, and such a gorgous nature paper you used!! Love it so much!! I haven't the Collall wet glue (in Italy there isn't) but I have always problems with glue, I prefer the tape runner.
    Great photo to the house of the hedgehog, I hope he (her?) will sleep in quiet for all the winter time! :) If you put an apple near the house, you can know if the hedgehog wakes up for eating or if he/she has gone entirely to lethargy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That really is gorgous paper and you made a fabulous card with it. Not used the Collall glue myself and I always tend to use tape xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Di your card is so beautiful and the papers are gorgeous l like using them as you say the papers provided most of the work l have some papers of the same and all l added was a sentiment so quick and easy like you say .....gorgeous colour of ribbon too! l have another hedgehog in my garden it looks so healthy must be eating all the food l'm putting out well hopefully it is as l have seen a stray cat here too! take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful, Di! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous card! So pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful card, gorgeous papers.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous colours... I can see why you raved about it :)
    Glad hedgehog is doing well. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad the hedgies seem to be happy! Beautiful use of designer paper, Di--always challenging for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.