Saturday 2 February 2013

Saturday Supper - Spicy Pea and Lentil Soup

I made this really yummy soup yesterday evening for Len - who says he's doing fine and thank you!
Spicy Pea and Lentil Soup

Serves 4

1 onion (chopped)
150 grams potatoes (peeled and sliced)
800 ml vegetable stock (hot)
350 grams frozen peas
400 can of green lentils (drained)
2 rounded tsps curry powder (mild)
1 tbsp oil

Heat oil in a big pan and cook onion until soft. Add curry powder and cook over a low heat for one minute.

Add potatoes and stock, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add peas and lentils.

Return to boil and simmer for another 5 minutes

Purée the soup or blend until not quite smooth and season to taste.

The two-legged mouse 'woofed' it down, and then trotted back for more - under normal circumstances I wouldn't blend it until really smooth of course, although it didn't spoil the mildly spicy flavour at all. And we'd have fresh crusty bread - aren't I kind cutting the crusts off (the birdies are loving it).

The Snippets Playground closes at noon - just to give me time to sweep up the sweetie wrappers, collect up discarded hair ribbons (which I'll wash, iron and pop into the lost property box in the Playhouse if you're missing any) and also some time to calm the donkey down! A bottle or two of Newcastle Brown Ale should do the trick.

Di
x

8 comments:

  1. Normally I wouldn't even contemplate pea soup but, having read the ingredients, I think this might be the exception to the rule. I'll copy the recipe and see what himself thinks - he usually loves anything with curry powder in it so could be on the menu some time this week. Glad to hear the two-legged mouse is on the mend and has regained his appetite :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vegie soups, njami.
    Looks great-taste? Like in haven,
    Hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm Mmmm that looks delicious! Haven't made pea soup for a while...

    I is always so delicious. I think I will give your recipe a try next time. i haven't ever used curry in it before...sounds yummy!i

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm ... that sounds good.

    I love homemade soup. Always so much more tasty and filling.

    Hope the playground wasn't too much of a mess.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, not sure, I may like it but feel that no-one else would.
    You may like to try my cream of onion soup which I made Friday afternoon.

    1lb of onions finely chopped.
    2 sticks of celery, finely chopped.
    1 or 2 leeks, finely chopped.
    Bunch spring onions, finely chopped.
    1 pint of chicken stock
    Seasoning
    1 large tablespoon cornflour.

    Put all the chopped veg into pyrex bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.

    Stir cornflour into veg and mix with chicken stock.
    Cook in microwave for 5 minute.
    Stir
    Cook for further 5 minutes, stir and add half a pint of milk(hot if to be eaten immediately) cold if to be eaten later. (I prefer to make it the day before I intend to use it)
    Add seasoning.
    Blend in blender.
    Yesterday I had a bit of raw cauliflower left and just chopped that up and through it in.

    I always blend my soups as I don't like chunky soup

    The only time I don't add the milk is if I am making tomatoe soup as it can make it go a bit pink.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, that sounds delicious! I'm going to add it to my 'things vegetarian daughter likes that carnivorous hubby will also think is good' file! Thank you!

    love Mags B x



    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't beat homemade soup.

    Glad to hear Len's doing fine. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated comment - at my school at the end of the summer term every year we would all gather in the assembly room (aka 'The Hut') and the two Head Girls (1 Boarder, 1 Day Girl) went through all the Lost Property, if nobody claimed an item as theirs it went to whoever wanted it.

    This event was known as 'Orgy'

    I thought the name would amuse you all!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.