Monday 28 May 2012

Less Is More - Shaped Card

As soon as I saw this week's Less Is More challenge, to make a shaped card, I knew what shape I wanted to make at least - a tepee card, which is three sided. Thinking of what to add took more time and in the end I found some La Pashe flowers in the cupboard and made a chrysanthemum (yay, haven't had a long word for ages!) in bold bright orange. The flower and leaves took a lot longer to make than the card - lots of snipping and shaping:
However, it was great fun to make, I made a much more elaborate one a while ago which fastened with ribbon - here's a link to the tutorial I'd followed. And here's a link to the card I made almost a year ago now, which shows you it can be 'more is more' if you wish. But, this time, instead of tying the final side with ribbon as in the tutorial, I had a secret weapon to hand that I've wanted to use for ages:)
Totally brilliant invention, although not really cheap at £4.29 for 8 pairs I suppose. They're very slim too, here's a side view of one set holding the card as a tepee, just remember to fix one half of the pair and then place its partner on top, remove the sticky cover and fold the other part of the card over onto it - don't try and line them up by eye as I bet that wouldn't have much chance of being totally accurate:
I added a sentiment to one side, and the other side has the same punched shape left blank for any message:
Snigger, it looks 'wonky' but I promise it isn't :)

I used:

- 3 squares of 5.5" hammered white card and assembled as in the tutorial link above

- orange chrysanthemum and leaves by La Pashe, topped with a Josy Rose nail head

- sentiment stamped with stamp from SU's 'Sincere Salutations', in 'Pumpkin Pie', and punched using SU's fabulous 'Decorative Label punch, with some 'Wild Wasabi' run round the edge for definition, the matching, but blank, punched topper on the third side is also edged with 'Wild Wasabi'

- Papermania magnetic clasp

A red hot flower, for red hot weather - I'm off to sit in the freezer again!

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Clever card. Thanks for the tutorial link. You did a great job with this...looks complicated! Don't get too cold in the freezer. Happy Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks terrific Di!
    It's a really attractive shape!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is more"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant shaped card Di, perfect for this challenge. It's a refreshing change to see rather than the norm A4 or A5's.

    I am still devoid of cards this morning, tut tut!

    Have a lovely Monday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a fab. card shape Di, and a brilliant way to attach the panels. Love the gorgeous flower!

    (re. my snippet card - you're right Di - it was just the Baby card - thanks so much for asking).
    Have a lovely day - Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Di

    What a brilliant card, it's gorgeous, and a brilliant shape.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting shape. I haven't come across it before. I like the magnetic clasp and the chrysanthemum is beautiful. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shaped card Di. I really love the flower embellishment too.

    Can I join you in the freezer please? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely shaped card Di and I love the red hot flower! The advantage of sitting in the freezer is that you might find white chocolate Magnums there... mmmm! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Di this is fabulous and a great shape too and perfect for the challenge, l'll be joining you in that freezer although it could all change not that l want it too just make the most of it though!! have a nice day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shaped card - love the bright flower against the white. Very elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there Di, This is a stunner, I really like it! A teepee, never seen this before, I like the one in your previous make too, lots of possibilities with a great shape like this, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW Di this is fantastic! Fabulous shape and I love that flower.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous flower and love the colour, great shape card too.
    New fixes look good, not seen them around but they are a tad expensive.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's different and effective. The Chrysanthemum is beautiful, well worth the effort, and those are clever fasteners. It's been as hot as the hobs of hell here today, I'm just starting to cool down now and it looks like another night on top of the duvet ... however, the forecast is that it's going to cool down again over the next few days and I, for one, will welcome that, and so will my poor swollen feet :) Hugs, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Di,
    Stunning card! thanks for the tutorial link. I really love this design-Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super card Di
    Great shape
    Thank you very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shape Di - love the magnetic closure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.