Friday 25 May 2012

Friday Feast - Banana Bread


Banana Bread

For a 2lb loaf tin you need:

125g/40z softened butter plus extra for greasing (but see my notes below for a fat free option)
500g/1lb 2oz ripe bananas (unpeeled weight and it's about 3 average sized bananas)
grated flesh of 1 peeled eating apple (approx 100g/3.5 oz)
1 tbsp honey or Golden Syrup
2 tbsp rum (optional - I've never added this)
250g/9oz self-raising flour
1tsp mixed spice
125g/4oz golden caster sugar
125g/4oz walnut pieces, chopped
2 eggs (I generally use large as that's what we have in the house already)

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C, Gas Mark 3.

Mash the peeled bananas with the butter (the butter can be omitted, see my notes below). Add the apple, honey and rum (if using).

Sift together the flour and mixed spices, then mix in the sugar and walnuts and stir into the banana mix. Finally add the eggs one by one (I lightly beat them together first in a cup), and stir vigorously.

Pour the cake mixture into the greased tin (or use a loaf tin liner) and bake for 1hour 15 minutes before checking. If a skewer does not come out clean in the middle, return to the oven and check again every 10 minutes or so.

When the loaf is ready, rest it in the tin for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

Things I do: Firstly, this is a great way to use over ripe bananas, in fact the recipe says they should be 'obscenely ripe' :) And secondly, ages ago I was making this and put the butter to soften in the microwave - only to discover that I'd totally forgotten to add it, after the loaf was merrily baking away. It's a different texture without butter, more like a tea loaf, but still yummy!

I know that Rach, over at Mike's Gal, recently published a banana loaf recipe. I was going to just scrap or delay this one, but being away means I have no others up my sleeve until I put my 'Delia Head' back on and go shopping for next week's meals.

It's not exactly the same recipe so maybe you can hop over to see Rach's recipe and pick which one you'd like to try? 

Di
x

10 comments:

  1. This one is a firm fav here but I don't bake often cos if I do I eat it [know what I mean?] :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Di and will have to give it a go!

    Big hugs Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tempting it look scrummy but have to watch the waist line, keep watching but not much happening!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmm, mmmm, mmmm . . . I'll be round later for a slice, and a nice cup of fruit tea.

    I'll knock, but if you don't come to the door, I'll know you're still in the freezer!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yummy Di, This is scrummy and looks gorgeous:)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! One to keep ... it's just too hot to be anywhere near an oven today, let alone a hot one :) Like the idea of using up obscenely ripe bananas this way - it's got to be better than tossing them in the bin! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do love banana bread. I add a bit of chocolate chips to mine.... try it!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one looks so yummy.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks lovely, I am going to be making a herman german sourdough cake tomorrow, have managed to keep him alive and growing for nine days. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. this and a cup of coffee bliss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.